Sunday, May 3, 2020

The F16HT of his Life!

Who is Trey Mancini? To me, he's the face of the Baltimore Orioles baseball franchise! Someone that has worked incredibly hard to get to where he is; a real student of the game. Mancini was not a high draft pick by any means; he was drafted in the 8th round of the 2013 MLB Amateur Draft! Mancini made his MLB debut at the of 24 in 2016. Only getting in to 5 games that season, he made a great impression on the Orioles decision makers.























 Fast forward to 2017, the then 25-year old Mancini played 3rd in the Rookie of the Year voting for the American League.

A knee injury suffered in 2018 contributed to a difficult season; Mancini himself discusses this in his post on The Players' Tribune.
 
"I went into a massive, three-month slump. My average fell from .284 to .216. I was sure I was getting sent down to Triple A at that point. I was just totally lost.
And then, right before our first game after the All-Star break, my older sister, Katie, sent me a text message that changed everything. She texted me a picture of me playing baseball when I was eight years old. And she said, “You didn’t come this far to only come this far.”"

 Trey Mancini keeps a picture of that message on his phone to this day.  Mancini went on to have a great all around season in 2019 for the Orioles, leading to career bests in most offensive categories! At that point, he had arrived in Charm City.

Then came the news that he had received on March 6; that there was a malignant tumor in his colon. The tumor was removed six days later, on March 12. Orioles star, Trey Mancini was diagnosed with Stage III colon cancer. No one, whoever you are, wherever you are, EVER wants to hear those words.


Trey is extremely thankful for the team doctors:
"And without the Orioles I never would have caught this before it may have been too late."

Mancini goes on to say,
 "Honestly, I love the Orioles. Our team trainers have been so on top of everything. I am so appreciative for them, and also for the Orioles’ front office and ownership. They have treated me like family. Brooks Robinson called me when I was in the hospital to let me know he was thinking of me and to ask if I needed anything. That was incredible — he’s just an absolute legend in Baltimore.

Really, the support I’ve gotten from everyone has just been unbelievable. It’s given me an appreciation for a lot of things that I’ve always had, but that were getting overlooked as I went about my day-to-day life. Going through something like this had really made me understand all my blessings.

Like the text chain that I’m on with my teammates. We actually have a big team group chat. It’s always been going, but it means even more to me now. I’ve been keeping in touch with them and updating them with everything going on. Those exchanges mean so much to me now. I love those guys."

During COVID-19 especially, having any type of surgery has to be done alone, so Trey's family cannot be there with him during this.  He still plans in staying in baseball shape to the best of his ability, and looks forward to being there in the dugout rooting on his Orioles teammates, when the season does get started.

The Orioles, and the rest of Major League Baseball will be missing one of baseball's great young talents in 2020, but all of Baltimore is here rooting you on and cannot wait to see you back at OPACY!

As your teammates have said, F16HT on Trey Mancini! We will be there waiting to roll out the orange carpet to welcome you back! Get well soon!







No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis